1996 Canvention Business Meeting
Meeting was held at the Coast Hotel, Calgary on Sunday, July 21st. Start time was 16h30.
Present: Gary Frei, Dale Speirs (secretary), John Mansfield, Darryl Murphy, Cliff Samuels, Arthur Taylor, Mary Taylor, Jean Louis Trudel, Rene Walling.
(1) Old minutes - Correction is that Mansfield did not withdraw a bid for the 1996 Canvention; it was never made originally. Motion to amend minutes passed.
(2) Old business - motion to accept passed
(3) Bid for 1997 Canvention from PRIMEDIA. Mansfield noted that if 1997 bid fails, it is Frei's job to find replacement. Motion to accept PRIMEDIA bid passed, one opposed.
(4) 1996 Aurora Awards physically poor workmanship (gobs of glue, etc.). Frei suggested new supplier to be considered next year. Query from the audience asking if there are design specs available. Motion by Arthur Taylor, seconded Walling, to have physical design specs (blueprint) attached to Canvention by-laws and to allow for alternate sources. Motion passed. For the attention of the 1997 Aurora Awards committee.
(5) Murphy discussed 2-year eligibility for Long-Form and nomination procedures. Motion by Murphy, seconded by Arthur Taylor, that eligibility for Best Long-Form (English or French) be restricted to one appearance on final ballot for each work. Passed with one dissenting.
(6) Murphy suggested the possibility of changing definition for Best Other Work.
(7) Note received from Linda Ross-Mansfield as below. Committee ran out of time and was unable to discuss it. Held over for 1997.
From: Linda Ross-Mansfield
I would like to point out that the Auroras have, due to the increase in both the number of awards and the cost over the years, been moving Canvention beyond the means of smaller literary conventions which ought to be its mainstay. If no long-term financial support can be obtained, (and this might require tighter and better administration, too) then I would like to put forward the idea of reducing the number of awards to a number more in keeping with the budgets of conventions. Failure to consider this may soon result in no conventions being willing to hold Canvention, and the awards therefore becoming neglected and untenable.
(8) Meeting adjourned 17h30 to make way for Canvention closing ceremonies ...