Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association
Annual General Meeting
Canvention 36 will be hosted by When Words Collide 2016 in Calgary, Alberta, August. 12-14, 2016. The AGM will be held Sunday, August 14.
The Agenda for the AGM can be found below.
In addition to the usual voting in person, CSFFA members will be able to vote online.
1. The quorum required at the start of a CSFFA AGM is twelve members in good standing present in person or by electronic means. Anyone may attend the SGM but only individuals who were CSFFA members as of August 9, 2016 may vote.
2. Voting may be done online by Tuesday August 9 or in person at the AGM. There are no proxies allowed under the current bylaws, as approved by CSFFA members on October 5, 2013. Under current federal law, no new agenda items requiring a vote may be added once the formal AGM notice has been distributed. Similarly, no motion can be amended. Items may be withdrawn. Discussion items are allowed.
3. In-person voting will be done with voting cards. Each member can hold only one voting card. Members attending in person who have not voted in advance must check in at the AGM registration desk to receive their voting card.
- Welcome and Confirmation of Quorum
- Approval of Minutes of May 23, 2015
MOVED that the minutes of May 23, 2015 be approved.
*Note: A copy of last year’s minutes is here.
- Chair’s Report on Achievements and Plans
- MOVED that Fan music nominees be placed in the Fan Related Work category
*Note: In the past nominees who performed genre fan music were part of this category. Due to the lack of eligible nominees over the past five years we would like to return them to their original category.
- MOVED that the Fan Publication category include
- all written, edited or published fan works
- the new name for this category be “Best Fan Writing and Publications”
- it includes all items from the current Fan Publications category but now include works such as articles, reviews, song writing and letters in publications.
*Note: We are finding that the existing Fan Publications category is too limited. This is our fan literary category and should include all related works.
- MOVED that blogs and written articles by professional authors that are non-fiction or educational in nature be placed in the Fan Writing and Publications category.
- MOVED that we give a single year complimentary CSFFA membership for the following year to winners of the Aurora awards.
- MOVED that we give a lifetime membership to all Hall of Fame inductees.
- Report from the Treasurer and Approval of Financial Statements
- MOVED that we accept the Financial Statement for 2015
- MOVED that we accept the Financial Statement for first half of 2016
- MOVED that we approve the exemption under subsection 160(2) of the Canada Not -for-Profit Corporations Act**Note: this exemption allows us to hold Canvention any time during the year, not just in the first 6 months of the year.
- MOVED that we ratify Board Actions in 2015-2016
- MOVED that we accept VCON 43 as the site for the 2018 Canvention
*Note: The bid from VCON can is here.
- MOVED that we elect as Board members
*Note: Their bios and photos are here.
- Jean-Louis Trudel
- Murray Moore
- Clifford Samuels
- Danielle Stephens
- Questions and discussions from Members and Attendees